hurleys have marstons contract

Post Your Comments Anonymously Here.

ADMIN WILL KNOW WHO HAS POSTED

Re: hurleys have marstons contract

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:WOW I don't think I have ever seen a thread run to 9 pages in 2 days!!

In my humble opinion I don't really see what Hurley's have done wrong? From what I can see it's Funhouse that have got the contract with Marston's and they have simply asked Hurley's to find operators willing to run the area's that Funhouse don't do themselves?

As Funhouse is a massive customer of Hurley's and will be buying all the stock for the new sites from them, they can hardly refuse to help sell the excess sites, or get too nowty about the existing customers who are losing sites in the deal. It may sound harsh, but if I were to get deal with a large chain, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over the guys that had lost sites. That's just the way the cookie crumbles. As Barbara has pointed out, if this deal wasn't struck Marston's would have quite possibly sent a letter round all their pubs ordering all towers to be removed, as they weren't going to have any at all.
Also the stipulation that all towers have to be new is more than understandable, as there is a massive amount of risk involved with subcontracting without having to worry about your subby using tatty/unreliable equipment!

I know it feels terrible losing sites you shelled out good money for, and I know on the face of it 35% looks like an horrendous deal for the operator, but this could open up a lot more sites that otherwise would have been unavailable.

I'm prepared to find out more before I start slating people, and will be ringing Paul tomorrow to find out the full deal on offer. :thumbup:

Mark@yorvend
Mark a very well crafted comment there. Can I make a suggestion,try running the numbers . How many 17ps( profit minus operating costs) does it take to get your return on investment of £250 per site? Using the model of 30 tubs a month. You probably won't be able to cherry pick the best sites, which is fair enough, so the poor will pull down the averages of the great.

If you tie any money up in this deal, your money's dead for 2 years. I'd rather give Babs my cash and make my money work harder. Start having a return on investment in month 7 not month 25. There are some brilliant sites away from the pub sector. There's so many possibilities without getting your head turned. You'll graft for very little.

Post by Guest »

I spoke to Rob today and alerted him to this thread so I propbably provoked the Hurleys response.

For the record, Im with Mark. I would like the opportunity to assess the deal and the sites in my area and if Hurleys are able to get me into some of the busy family pubs especially with a toy machine then Im prepared to pay for it.

Like I said before " We would all do the deal given the opportunity"

I would be very concerned if my costs were so high that I was only making 17p per pot after paying 35% commission on £1. Id be looking for another job.

Andy
Style

Post by Guest »

I don't think everyone would do the deal at all.

They are not giving odd sites here and there, you need to cover a whole area, so if its one machine and its 10 miles out of your radius I can bet you need to do it, even if it sells 2 a week. Theres no cherry picking.

Hurleys could have gone about this a whole lot better, and as Matt says why don't they offer a discount on sales, that way THEIR profit could be less not the operator, after all its not their fuel and time is it.

Anyway good look to anyone that signs up with this.

Bet tubz vending are laughing when they read this!!!

Post by Guest »

Here's the breakdown .....

Let's assume an average price of a box of 96 pots is £30. With the vat and delivery cost factored in (if delivered by pallet, more if you order less) gives you

a pot price of 40p
Plus storage costs 2p
Diesel costs 2p
Other overheads (returning to site for blockages,insurance,machine repairs, van maintenance and motoring fixed costs) 4p
Marstons commission 35p

Operators true profit 17p

Hope this clarifies.......and I do run a very tight ship. All my overheads are screwed down.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:I spoke to Rob today and alerted him to this thread so I propbably provoked the Hurleys response.

For the record, Im with Mark. I would like the opportunity to assess the deal and the sites in my area and if Hurleys are able to get me into some of the busy family pubs especially with a toy machine then Im prepared to pay for it.

Like I said before " We would all do the deal given the opportunity"

I would be very concerned if my costs were so high that I was only making 17p per pot after paying 35% commission on £1. Id be looking for another job.

Andy
Style
Well said Andy, we should find out exactly what the deal (and cost) is before we start running it down. If the selection of products we stock is left up to the operator, we can probably just be more careful with the lines stocked? I know a big eating pub (flaming grill) near me that only has 3 different lines of the cheaper type of stock in it (cola bottles, jelly mix, fizzy mix), but because of it's size and customer base it's usually empty.

Also from what others have said this looks like a 3 year deal? I have sites that turn out to be worthless after the first couple of months, so I re-site (£20) and drag it on to the next site, only for that to be a complete waste of time, so on it goes...

Even at paying nearly £45 for a box of Toblerone (46p each), that still leaves nearly 20p profit after the commission has been paid. I know that's pretty s**t, but if you can get a site that sells plenty of cola bottles to balance it out (25p each), you could still make a couple of quid out of it if you get a busy enough site.
If not then all you have to do is say you don't want to do it anymore, and then all it's cost you is the price of the tower, which you were probably going to buy anyway.

I think people should at least give it a go, if no one can make it work with those numbers then they will probably lose the contract anyway? :roll:

Mark@yorvend

Post by Guest »

Not for the first time on this forum vendors don't stick together this happened with tubz vending in the past and the ones not affected kept out of it.

Here a couple of operators think by sticking up for Hurleys they will do them a favor good luck guys.

All for one and one for all-I don't think so!!

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Not for the first time on this forum vendors don't stick together this happened with tubz vending vending in the past and the ones not affected kept out of it.

Here a couple of operators think by sticking up for Hurleys they will do them a favor good luck guys.

All for one and one for all-I don't think so!!

well said sir

Post by Guest »

Who am I supposed to stick together with and why? There are operators on here who quite happily stick towers next to mine with no concern over my business.

Im in no way happy to see people lose sites but honestly who on here wouldnt personally go and sign a national deal for 1000 pubs if they could?

Andy

Post by Guest »

Mark , no disprespect but how can you say 20p per pot is ok? Sells 50 pots make £10 not taking off fuel and breakdowns, you can earn more on minimum wage .

And I don't think when you agree to do a 3 year national contract you can just say , nah doesn't work for me. Hurlers have to have towers in ALL sites . They will need to find replacements to cover if you up and leave.

And also you are up and leaving aft shelling out for a new machine!! Have a think mate . You are getting shafted

Why didnt national contracts work with tubz vending? No profit for operators that's why

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Who am I supposed to stick together with and why? There are operators on here who quite happily stick towers next to mine with no concern over my business.

Im in no way happy to see people lose sites but honestly who on here wouldnt personally go and sign a national deal for 1000 pubs if they could?

Andy
Everyone would, but most other companies would go about it in a lot better way. Not screwing all their operators